Monday, May 26, 2014

Political Maturity: Accepting "The Others"



We are new to politics, still discovering it, still knowing its rules, boundaries, and etiquette. We have all been guilty at one point or the other of being
over defensive about our political point of view, unable to understand what the others are thinking, or how their brain is functioning. We see most other points of view as bizarre, unexplainable, and totally alien. Politically, we were new borns, we got into arguments, some people even lost friends in the process. I have to admit to being guilty of aggressive one sided statuses and arguments at many occasions, especially the first 2 years of the revolution. MY point of view made so much sense TO ME, and MY emotions at many points of time got the best of ME, leading ME to dismiss anyone's arguments that made no sense TO ME (oh yea, by the way, sorry about that!). Yes, to me, only to me, because I use my own brain to think, and so does every single one of us. We don't think with the same brain, do we? We don't like the same things, do we? We don't get along with the same people, do we? We don't like the same food, do we? We don't have the same experiences, do we? Do we? Do we? I can keep playing this "do we" game for days, but I think you got the point already. At the end of the day, none of us want in any way to make our country worse, we choose what we think is the best option for it, we try, we all try our very best. Being different, being our unique selves, our way of expressing this love and our choices of what is best for our country can be very different, in fact, it can be the complete opposite.
Years have passed (3 years, 4 months, and 1 day to be exact), we were new born politically, and I think it is safe to say now that we have grown into political toddlers. We need to reach a new level of maturity, we need to learn from our mistakes, know how to deal and live with our differences, accept others' opinions no matter how un-logical and bizarre they may seem. Accept, understand, compromise, let things go, and breath. We are still far from real political maturity, far from real understanding and respecting of political boundaries, and far from knowing all the political etiquette, but we are closer today than we were years ago. What I think is the right thing to do, is not what you think is the right thing to do, and thats ok. I respect your opinion, respect mine. I respect your choices, respect mine. I respect you, respect me. Maybe I haven't perfected this yet, but least I am trying to, so please try to do the same.

What I am trying to say is… Accept others, and maybe even try to see and understand their point of view, they probably do have one. Build up tolerance, self control, and be very careful of what you say and how you say it. Be politically mature; accept differences, respect choices, honor political etiquette (don't be too nosey or pushy ya3ny), and always keep an open mind.

Express yourself all you want, just try not to hurt others while you're at it.


No comments:

Post a Comment