Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Fasting: Day 2 & 3

I was tired, sleepy, and still unsettled. I wasn't in a bad state, but not a good one either. I am always smiling and peppy so I doubt anyone felt that. I was just trying to stick to whatever the schedule was, trying to escape to my room ever-so-often, ignoring my phone to the maximum, and whenever possible cuddling up in my bed with no sound, or with the TV. We were taking some kind of a salt, in
arabic it is called "the english salt", which is basically a laxative. Not a fun experience at all, but not as bad as I had pictured it in my highly imaginative mind. By day three everyone was more than happy it was over and that we would no longer need to suffer the terrible taste or it's after effects. The documentaries were generally good and very informative, mostly about how fasting befenits us on many levels, and its amazing ability to cure many diseases, including ones that are considered uncuttable such as cancer, diabetes, multiple sclerosis, arthritis and more. The documentaries are in no way a hoax like our lovely Egyptian device that cures aids and what not, seemingly including hunger since according to the "inventor" patients will be fed on the disease as though it is "kofta". I am deeply inspired by this fast and very humbled and grateful to be part of it, I believe in it and know that it can set people on the right track whatever their situation is. All I have are stories and experiences from people who already completed the fast, but I am looking forward to seeing those extreme changes in my own group. I have been lucky, I don't need to withdraw from much, I don't smoke, I don't do drugs, and very rarely do medications, I am barely addicted to coffee (unlike what others might think), I never "need" a cup of coffee literally, but rather enjoy it, but I guess enjoying it could be a form of addiction as well. Exhausted I must say, is this from the fasting or simply accumulated stress and my ever continuous lack of sleep? Oh well, we'll see what happens I suppose. Exhausted, but still very excited.

I have a hard time remembering if I took my introductory meditation lecture on day 2 or 3, but I think it was day 3. We joined our meditation guru Miral (one of the nicest people you will meet in your life; loving smile and super friendly) for an introduction and a mini-ceremony. We filled applications and went back in one by one, getting our (SHHHhhhh! TOP SECRET) mantra that should help us meditate. Then we would meditate for our first time. The experience was interesting, a little awkward since you are not sure if you are doing it right or not, especially with thoughts trafficking your mind non stop, searching for silence and a neutral place in our mind where no thoughts or feelings exist. My first meditation was interesting, I had this light thing happen in my imagination, as if something slurped or whooshed my mind, it was weird and barely lasted for a second. I had done pre and post yoga meditation but this was my first time to meditation, with a mantra. It is definitely worth investigating and trying out.

I went for my first group walk on day 3, I was expecting it to be exhausting, but it turned out to be like a walk in the park, only with a sea view. I saw someone on a canoe and looking forward to rent one myself, but was advised against it for now; we have to take things one step at a time. I enjoyed the walk a lot and since then have been looking forward to more walks, but it not always convenient, sometimes I am delayed by my medical checkup, or other general things.

No comments:

Post a Comment